Visual Design: Data-Driven Tactic or Qualitative Strategic Asset?

The visual design has a moment of relief and perhaps reckoning. Companies no longer see design as a cover for their messages; instead, design is often the message.

While there are limits to the number of words a person will read, the more they absorb, people’s hunger for images seems inexhaustible.

But here are some embarrassing questions: Can marketers stand up for art design and, at the same time, get the return on investment their clothes expect? Will there be room for a human touch if all visual content is judged on transactional criteria?

It’s Important, But…

The relationship is born out of a stressor that marketers feel intensely: the pressure to connect communication, experiences, and audiences in a very efficient and traceable way that generates revenue.

That’s why we interviewed 293 global brand developers and marketers to explore the challenges and opportunities they face when balancing technology with a human touch. We also conducted in-depth interviews with 10 participants.

Survey respondents widely agreed on the importance of visual design, which is not surprising to the public.

  • A total of 91% of respondents said they invest in quality graphic design for their marketing content.
  • Another 98% said that high-quality graphic design in marketing content enables a stronger relationship with their audience.

However, only 8% of respondents said that Level C visual design lives within the organization, indicating that for the remaining 92% of organizations, it is seen as a tactical issue, not a strategic priority.

Visual design is often part of marketing, although it plays a key role in sales, product development, operations, customer service, investor relations, and human resources. So does visual design deserve advice? This is important for marketers, but is it that important?

‘That Didn’t Suck’

A bad part of my job is being a brand advocate. People often ask me if they can customize the brand templates for our presentations, presentations, and documents. And I have to explain politely that they cannot.

But what is wrong with people having creative freedom with our models?

One of our interviewers from the Connectivity Report answered this question brilliantly: “From a human experience point of view,” Wow, that was great and I felt good about it, “versus” it wasn’t shit “, they do that visual design does: takes you from “it sucks” to “it’s great”. ”

Almost anyone can present a presentation that is not a medication. There are many free or cheap tools for this. But an incredible one? Unlikely.

Creating admiration is always necessary and will always involve advanced design skills.

And the admiration is necessary in today’s world. Not only to create exciting experiences that delight people, but also to make the color, typography, and graphics “feel” instead of just looking at the clicks that follow.

Obscurity by a Thousand Cuts

The risk of keeping the design just as a tactic is that it silently kills a brand, frame by frame: the impact of a successful design is usually measurable; the harm of a low-quality cliché is usually not if you don’t look beyond quantitative criteria.

In Connectivity Report interviews, I expected marketers to measure design based on rigorous metrics – web traffic, content conversion, click-through rates, downloads, likes, and social shares are widely observed.

But some brands have eliminated these transaction effects:

  • They see if the management team is “satisfied” with the content.
  • They seek answers from outside designers.
  • Accept anecdotal comments from sales and product teams.
  • They hear positive or negative conversations between their teammates.

For them, success is not just about changes in engagement. Success means that your colleagues take pride in the content they provide and the experiences they create, like sports fans wearing a team shirt or patriots looking lovingly at the country’s flag.

A good design adapts to the culture and brand identity, not just the exchange rate.

Peaceful Coexistence

The Connectivity Report asked whether the human attack on visual design still has a place in marketing. And of course, this is true.

Marketers generally agree that design is important, but they need to rethink how they differentiate between quality and success. They are not mutually exclusive. The excellent visual design reflects both.

The Connectivity Report indicates that we have found a balance between qualitative and quantitative signals. We need to convince the two executives that design is not only a source of content but also a matter of long-term business strategy.

And the strategy, as designed, is not purely quantifiable or predictable. There is no more data that has never been proven.